TwinSpires Racing is a racebook with connections. Owned by Churchill Downs, the parent company of the iconic Kentucky Derby venue, TwinSpires has the backing of almost 150 years of history and industry experience.
The racebook offers new players a sign-up bonus of up to $200. In this review, we’ll go over your betting options, the welcome bonus and other promotions at TwinSpires, along with other key aspects of the horse betting app.
TwinSpires Racebook Maryland welcome bonus
You do not need a TwinSpires Maryland bonus when signing up at TwinSpires to claim the welcome bonus. When you register, the racebook will provide you with $200 in bonus funds, which you receive in increments of $100 for every $400 that you wager.
TwinSpires offer code for Maryland in May 2022
|Online Racebook||TwinSpires Racing Maryland|
|TwinSpires Maryland Promo Code||There isn't one|
|TwinSpires Maryland Sign Up Bonus||$200|
|Last Updated||May 2022|
Regular TwinSpires Racing promotions
TwinSpires offers a variety of recurring promotions, as well. One thing to keep in mind, however, is that these promotions may vary from week to week, so check the online racebook to see what’s currently available.
Players must opt in for the Turfway Park $2,500 Thursday Jackpot Leaderboard. Although this promotion is available for every race happening during Thursdays at Turfway Park in Kentucky, you must opt in once. The 10 players with the most points will receive a share of the $2,500 weekly jackpot. The leaderboard restarts every week during the promo.
Kentucky Derby Prep Race
The $100,000 Road to Kentucky Derby Prep Race competition also requires players to opt in. Your first straight single win wager of a minimum of $25 will serve as a qualifying wager. Note that “Win/Place,” “Win/Place/Show” and “Win/Show” bets aren’t eligible wagers to qualify for this competition.
The top 100 players on the leaderboard will each receive a share of the $100,000, with the prizes for the top two winners including a VIP trip to the Kentucky Derby for two.
Winter Weekend Bet Back
Players can get up to $10 back on their first single horse win bet if their pick finishes second or third. If there is a dead heat for first place, the offer will only be available for third place. The same happens if there is a dead heat for second place, which allows bettors on both second-place finishers to receive the bet back.
Bettors must opt in to receive a 15% boost on their winning trifecta wagers every Tuesday. The 15% applies to winning trifecta wagers up to a maximum of $25 per day.
Like the trifecta promotion, the exacta insurance offer gives players who opt in the chance to get back up to $10 if their two selected horses finish in the first three spots, but not in the winning order. Only applies to select races with at least seven horses.
Rest of the World Bet Back
This promotion is similar to the other bet-back offers at TwinSpires. The main difference is that the races for this promotion are all international. Players must opt in once to be eligible for the promo in all available races. Receive a maximum of $10 back per race if your horse finishes second.
Is TwinSpires racebook legal in Maryland?
Yes, TwinSpires Racing is legal in Maryland. State law authorizes advance deposit wagering, which means people in the state can bet on races either by phone or online.
How to create a TwinSpires account in Maryland
You must be 18 or older and a resident of Maryland to sign up for a TwinSpires horse racing account. If you meet those requirements, follow these steps:
- Access the TwinSpires Racing website.
- Select the “Join Now” button at the top of the page.
- Fill in your contact details and account information.
- Complete the registration process and you’re good to go.
This is also when you’ll need to enter the TwinSpires promo code to qualify for the welcome bonus.
TwinSpires Racing app review
The TwinSpires racebook offers a sleek look and a well-organized layout. One of the racebook’s best features is that players can easily see which races are up next, which allows them to jump in on the race to place any last-minute bets. If you prefer to bet on the go, you can visit TwinSpires on your mobile browser or download the app.
How to download the TwinSpires Racing app
The TwinSpires betting app is available for free on Android and iOS devices. To get the app, access the TwinSpires website on your phone or tablet (wherever you want to download it).
Make sure you are on the racebook and not the online sportsbook or casino. Then, open the main menu by selecting the hamburger icon in the upper left corner of the screen. Under where it says “Racing,” expand the support options by selecting the plus sign next to “Support.”
Finally, select “Smartphone wagering apps.” This will take you to a new page, and you can select “Download on the App Store” or “Get it on Google Play,” depending on your device.
Top TwinSpires app pages
One of the best aspects of the TwinSpires mobile app is how informative it is. Below, we’ll give you an overview of some of the prime features:
Stats and facts
Once you pick a race, you’ll see a betting booklet with details about the horses, the trainers and basically everything else necessary to make an informed decision. Under the program tab, you’ll be able to pick the following options on the card:
- Classic: The simplest option available and the ideal one for those who are knowledgeable about the horses partaking in the race. You’ll only see the numbers and jockey colors.
- Basic: Still a simple betting card that shows the numbers and colors on the left, followed by the odds, morning line odds, profit line odds, the name of the horse, the weight, the name of the jockey and the name of the trainer.
- Advanced: As the name indicates, this is the most complete card available. Along with all the details from the basic card, you will also find the age and size of the horse, and the win percentage of the jockey and the trainer for the past 365 days, including the number of winners, second-place finishers and third-place finishers.
- Speed: Offers similar details, including the odds and the info on the horse, the run style, average speed, average distance and best speed.
- Class: Showcases the Prime Power (combined factors such as speed, class, pace and form), average class indicates the horse’s performance in a race, and last class is an average of the horse’s past three starts.
- Pace: Indicates the pace ratings, run style and speed points of a horse.
Race results, replays and calendar
This tab on the main page is the go-to section for players who want to know where they stand. TwinSpires showcases all the results of the races in one single spot. To see further information about each option, click on the race tab.
Players can also see the replays on this page, or by visiting the calendar tab. The calendar lets you check which races are happening in the upcoming hours or days.
Scratches and changes
Keeping up to date with what is happening with a horse or a race is of utmost importance if you want to do well. TwinSpires horse betting has you covered on the scratches and changes tab. There you’ll find up-to-date information about the track conditions, the reasons for any scratches and if there are any weight or jockey changes.
Best features of the TwinSpires Racing app
Although the betting cards at TwinSpires are some of the most complete in the industry, this racebook still has much more to offer. We’ll dive deeper into the features you can take advantage of on this website to ensure you make the most out of your horse race betting.
If there is one thing that TwinSpires does right, it is ensuring its players receive quality treatment. We already covered this aspect in the promotions section, but the racebook truly goes above and beyond.
Apart from the frequent promotions, players can also join myriad free play contests that offer them up to $1 million, as is the case with the Kentucky Derby Challenge. Other interesting contests include Hi-5 Friday, which offers a $500 free bet, along with the First Race Freeplay, the Saturday Special and the Sunday Special, each of which offers a $100 free bet.
TwinSpires Racing also offers its VIP program: TSC Elite. Based on their wagering habits, members can earn more points due to the multipliers and may even receive special benefits online and at Churchill Downs-owned tracks. Some of the perks include free admission to races, free programs and more.
News and picks
Should your main interest be the racing itself and not the promotions, then the news and picks tab will probably be of interest. This section of the racebook is one of the most complete we have seen among betting sites of this type and includes expert picks as well as race news.
In the picks section, you’ll find all you need to know about odds, carryovers, how to bet and track information, as well as expert picks. This is the place for new bettors but also for more experienced fans who are looking to get a step ahead.
How could TwinSpires Racing improve?
One thing that TwinSpires Racing could stand to improve is the quality of its video. Although it’s impressive that the book offers this option, we’ve noticed that more often than not there are delays or difficulty in loading the video.
Types of bets available at TwinSpires Racing
- Win: Bet on the horse you believe will win the race.
- Place: You win the bet if your pick finishes in first or second place.
- Show: Like the place bet, but you’ll win if your pick finishes first, second or third.
- Exacta: Pick two horses to finish first and second. You must get the order correct.
- Quinella: Similar to the exacta bet, but your horses can finish in the top two spots in either order.
- Trifecta: Pick the top three horses in a race, all in the correct order.
- Superfecta: Takes the trifecta a step further, and you have to pick the top four horses in the correct order.
- Double: Also called a daily double, this bet requires you to pick the winners of back-to-back races.
- Pick 3: Similar to the double, but you have to select the winners of three straight races.
- Pick 5: One of the hardest bets to win, the pick 5 requires players to pick the winners of five consecutive races.
Sports you can bet on at TwinSpires in Maryland
TwinSpires Racing offers bets on horse races only. The company also ran an online sportsbook that offered bets on a broader array of sports, but company officials announced their planned exit as a sportsbook operator in early 2022.
How to deposit and cash out on the TwinSpires app
TwinSpires offers a variety of safe and secure payment methods, with options that you can use both online and at retailers:
- EZMoney — free
- EZBank — free
- Credit card (Visa or Mastercard) — $5 flat fee for all deposits
- GreenDot @ the Register —fee of $4.95 or more, depending on the merchant
- Moneygram — minimum fee of $3.95 that varies according to the merchant
- PayNearMe — minimum fee of $3.99 depending on the merchant
- Apple Pay — flat fee of $5 for all deposits
- Bank wire transfer — $10 fee for deposits under $1,000; free for deposits over that amount
- On-site deposits
- Check or money order
How to contact TwinSpires customer support
In case you have any questions about the website or your account, you can visit the help center, which provides a fairly thorough FAQ. Should the information available there not be enough, you can reach out to the customer support via the following options:
- Online live chat
- Phone — 1-877-774-7371
- Email — [email protected]
Responsible gambling at TwinSpires
Not only is TwinSpires a licensed racebook in a number of states, but it also provides a variety of security measures to protect player information. At the same time, it offers access to responsible gambling tools.
You can set individual limits to control your gambling, including deposit, wager, time and maximum bet limits. You can also learn more about responsible betting on the website’s dedicated page or by calling 1-800-GAMBLER.
TwinSpires Horse Racing MD FAQs
Does TwinSpires Racing have a retail location in Maryland?
Ocean Downs Casino, which is in Berlin, near Ocean City, is owned and operated by Churchill Downs Inc. There is also a harness racing track as part of the venue.
Is TwinSpires the best racebook in Maryland?
TwinSpires is backed by almost 150 years of history and industry experience, and that is apparent if you visit the racebook. It covers horse races nationally and internationally, offers statistics, tips and solid odds, and provides access to an array of promotions.
This is one of the best racebooks in Maryland, and probably one of the leading platforms in the country. Although there is always room to improve, TwinSpires is already one of the best we’ve seen.