Maryland Casinos Win $163.4 Million In November

Written By Steve Schult on December 7, 2022 - Last Updated on December 12, 2022
November Maryland Casino Revenue

Casinos in Maryland saw a slight revenue uptick in November.

According to numbers released by the Maryland Lottery & Gaming Control Agency, six Maryland casinos won $163.4 million from gamblers. Those figures represent a 1.9% increase from November 2021.

However, the 2023 fiscal year, which began July 2022, is up 6.9% compared to the first four months of the 2022 fiscal year.

Additionally, November brought the year-to-date casino revenue total to $1.2 billion.

November 2022 Maryland casino revenue breakdown

According to November figures, most of the state’s casino revenue came from the two top earners. MGM National Harbor was the state’s highest-grossing casino with $71.6 million in November revenue. That’s a 5.5% jump from November 2021 for the D.C. area casino.

Live! Casino & Hotel in Hanover was the second-highest-grossing casino in the Old Line State with $57.1 million. The two top properties were nearly identical in slot revenue. But MGM’s table game revenue was what separated the two.

CasinoSlot WinTable Games Win Total
MGM National Harbor $39.8 Million $31.8 Million $71.6 Million
Live! Casino $39.4 Million $17.7 Million $57.1 Million
Horseshoe Casino Baltimore$10.5 Million $5.8 Million $16.3 Million
Hollywood Casino $5.8 Million $1 Million $6.8 Million
Ocean Downs Casino $5.9 Million $692,682 $6.6 Million
Rocky Gap Casino $4.4 Million $497,241$4.9 Million

Despite the success, Live! Casino experienced a 1.8% decrease from November 2021. Three other casinos witnessed year-over-year declines as well.

Ocean Downs Casino dropped 0.6%, Hollywood Casino dipped 3.4% and Rocky Gap Casino saw a downturn of 1.3%.

On the other hand, Horseshoe Casino Baltimore was up 4.2% year-over-year. The increases from Horseshoe and MGM were enough to keep the overall revenue uptrend in tack.

November numbers represent one of the worst months of 2022

Despite a small increase year-over-year, November’s numbers were disappointing compared to the rest of this year. January, February, June and September were the only months of 2022 with lower revenue totals.

Maryland casinos are coming off a record-setting October where the six properties reported a whopping $212.9 million in gross gaming revenue. It’s the only time in state history that casino revenue topped $200 million.

Furthermore, it was the second time this year, Maryland set a single-month record. July’s $181.5 million was the previous record.

Maryland coffers receive eight figures

From the gross gaming revenue, the state received $67.7 million in tax revenue from those six casinos. The Education Trust Fund received most of those payments, getting $49.25 million.

Local governments received a combined $2.9 million in tax payments from casinos in their area. The state taxes table game and slot machine revenue differently. As a result, local governments only receive 5% of table game revenue.

By comparison, casinos keep anywhere from 39% – 60% of slot machine earnings. The remaining amount is divided between these initiatives:

  • Education Trust Fund
  • Local impact grants
  • A minority business fund
  • The Maryland Lottery
  • State racetracks

Maryland casinos keep 80% of table game revenue, and the other 20% is paid to the government. The ETF receives 15% of table game tax payments, and local jurisdictions receive the other 5%.

The Maryland Lottery and Gaming Control Agency will release its sports betting revenue numbers this Monday.

Photo by Shutterstock
Steve Schult Avatar
Written by
Steve Schult

Steve Schult has covered the gambling world for the last decade. With stints as a staff writer for the World Series of Poker and Bluff Magazine, as well as the online content manager for Card Player Media, the New York native covered high-stakes poker tournaments and the overall casino industry. He’ll shift most of his focus to the Virginia, Maryland and Florida markets as a managing editor for Catena Media.

View all posts by Steve Schult
Privacy Policy