Maryland Sports Betting
Maryland sports betting features 12 online sportsbooks, including stalwarts like DraftKings, Caesars, BetMGM, FanDuel and BetRivers. More licenses are expected to be awarded throughout the year. With a first full NFL season for Maryland online sports bettors on the horizon, it’s an exciting time.
Our experts at PlayMaryland have prepared a guide for how Maryland online sports betting works, along with the best bonus offers.
Best Maryland online sportsbooks September 2023
Latest Maryland sports betting updates
Last updated: Sept. 25, 2023
New sportsbook betPARX has partnered with Playtech to boost its online sports betting experience. Matthew Cullen of betPARX says the partnership will provide “a seamless and immersive betting experience.”
Maryland sports betting is an established industry, but many licenses are still available. One legislator wants the state to be able to accept more applications for retail or online sportsbooks in the Old Line State.
Maryland sports betting news
Maryland Sportsbook betPARX Partners With Playtech For Online Offerings
The partnership of BetParx and Playtech will launch a revamped mobile sportsbook app in Maryland in early 2024.
Maryland Legislator Wants State To Accept More Sportsbook License Applications
Lawmaker Jason Buckel believes that bars and restaurants could have the opportunity to serve Maryland citizens with sportsbooks.
Our top Maryland sports betting sites
Of this group of names, some stand above the rest. We recommend you explore each option when it launches and make your own decision. If you’re curious, however, here are our top picks.
Best feature(s): Promotions
Why we like Caesars
Caesars Maryland needs very little introduction as the face of one of the world’s biggest gambling companies. In Maryland, Caesars has operated Horseshoe Baltimore for several years. Perhaps in a nod to the opulence of the brand’s identity, the best thing about Caesars Sportsbook is the various promotions for which bettors can qualify. Additionally, you can accrue points for redemption within the Caesars Rewards loyalty program.
Download the Caesars Maryland app
Best feature(s): Edit My Bet, MGM Rewards
Why we like BetMGM
BetMGM Maryland is the online sports betting brand for MGM Resorts, the international casino chain. MGM also owns and operates the MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill. BetMGM’s option to edit your open bets grants an extra degree of flexibility. BetMGM also allows bettors to accrue points in the MGM Rewards system, the company-wide loyalty program that offers comps, discounts and other benefits.
In addition to the above promotion, new users are eligible for another bonus, too. Sign up with the promo code GETPLAYMD, bet $10, and get $200 in bonus bets.
Download the BetMGM Maryland app
Best feature(s): Points betting
Why we like PointsBet
PointsBet boasts a sleek and nimble interface, enabling users to effortlessly switch between screens. This agility not only enhances the in-play betting experience but also showcases its stylish design. The app also introduces distinctive elements like points betting, setting it apart from conventional sportsbooks and ensuring rapid rewards for users.
Download the PointsBet Maryland app
Best feature(s): Navigation, same-game parlays
Why we like FanDuel
FanDuel Maryland has become one of the mainstays of online sports betting in recent years. The DFS pioneer has emerged as a top brand in multiple states and is often the leader in many areas. Part of the draw of FanDuel is its smooth, intuitive app design. FanDuel is also a leading provider of same-game parlay options. And with NFL season on the horizon, FanDuel is offering discounts on Sunday NFL Ticket, a clear perk for football fans.
Download the FanDuel Maryland app
Best feature(s): Live betting
Why we like BetRivers
BetRivers Maryland represents Rush Street Interactive, the online arm of Rush Street Gaming, which owns a handful of casinos in three states. BetRivers has been a perennial participant in most states with sports betting and offers solid betting options. BetRivers’ best feature is its live betting suite, which is quite deep and diverse in its offerings. BetRivers also allows you to stream games through the app.
Download the BetRivers Maryland app
Best feature(s): Sports betting pools
Why we like DraftKings
DraftKings Maryland has moved beyond its reputation as both a DFS provider and upstart gambling company to become one of the top sports betting outfits in the country. It has routinely been one of the first to offer its services once a state legalizes sports betting. The DraftKings Sportsbook app is notable for its betting pools, which allow for a tournament-like experience that is rare at other books. It’s also a great option for live betting and has as many markets available as anyone.
Download the DraftKings Maryland app
What online sportsbooks are available in Maryland?
There are 12 Maryland online sportsbooks, including some of the top names in the industry, and some you will find only in the Old Line State. The newest online sportsbook in Maryland is Fanatics.
Here are the 12 currently operating:
- Crab Sports
What new sportsbooks could launch in Maryland?
Maryland law allows for up to 60 online sportsbooks to be licensed in the state. With just 12 currently launched, that leaves a lot of room for others.
Queen Sportsbook, Bee-Fee and Bally Bet are all making their way through the licensing process, and could launch soon. Others, such as bet365, Tipico and Circa Sports, could eventually make their way to the state, but aren’t currently in the pipeline.
ESPN Bet is expected to come to Maryland in the fall when it replaces the Barstool brands around the country.
How online sportsbook bonuses work
Sportsbook bonuses are a ubiquitous feature of online sports betting. Here, we list the best bonuses at Maryland online sportsbooks.
|Sportsbook||Bonus Offer||Play Now|
|Caesars Sportsbook Maryland||Up to $1,000 on Caesars||Play Now!|
|BetMGM Sportsbook Maryland||Up to $1,500 in bonus bets||Play Now!|
|PointsBet Sportsbook Maryland||Up to $1,000 in Second Chance Bets||Play Now!|
|FanDuel Sportsbook Maryland||Bet $5, Get $200 in Bonus Bets||Play Now!|
|BetRivers Sportsbook Maryland||2nd chance bet up to $500||Play Now!|
|DraftKings Sportsbook Maryland||Up to $1,200 bonus||Play Now!|
Common types of bonuses include the following:
- No deposit bonus: The sportsbook places bonus dollars into your account once you register for it. Even if you don’t plan on using a particular book, there’s no reason not to try to use the cash.
- Deposit bonus: Deposit bonuses match a portion of your deposit amount as an additional bit of money. The exact percentage of the match and the maximum amount of bonus money you can extract varies, but be prepared to bet a certain multiple of your bonus amount before it converts into cash (known as a “playthrough requirement”).
- Bonus bet: The sportsbook will compensate you for any losses on certain wagers or during certain time periods. For instance, if the sportsbook offers a bonus first bet, and the first bet you place loses, you’d receive a refund as a bonus bet or bets.
- Odds boost: The boost raises the potential payout on certain wagers between roughly 15% and 35%. However, the boosts are usually on wagers that have not been drawing much betting. In other words, there’s often a reason that no one is biting, so be aware of this before you jump on an odds boost deal.
- Loyalty program: Receive points based on your wagering activity. You can then redeem the points for benefits and comps on both the app itself and, potentially, at any land-based locations associated with the online sportsbook.
How to get started betting online in Maryland
No matter which online sportsbook you choose, the procedure for signing up will be pretty similar. It also should only take a few minutes. Here is a brief primer on how to get started:
- Head to the sportsbook site, register for an account and verify it.
- If you plan to do any betting via a mobile device, download and install the app.
- Add money to your account.
Once the sports betting site is available in Maryland, you can start placing bets.
Notes about the process
- When you register for a Maryland sports betting account, be prepared to submit your name, email, phone number, street address, Social Security number (or part of it) and your birthday in order to create your account. You will also have to select a username and password so that you may log back into your new account.
- You also may need to enter a bonus code to qualify for any welcome promotions from the sports betting site.
- Sometimes the welcome bonus won’t require a code, in which case you can often qualify by using a link from this site to access the online sportsbook and sign up.
- Make sure to check both the deposit and withdrawal pages to ensure that you have ways to add money to your account and get it back.
What sports can you bet on in Maryland?
In addition to the sports and leagues you’d expect, such as the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, PGA Tour and college sports, Maryland is known for its vast array of quirky sports betting options.
MD is one of the only states in which you can bet on professional mini-golf – yes, professional mini-golf is apparently a thing. NCAA lacrosse, particularly popular in Maryland, is also on the menu. Chess, pickleball, badminton and surfing are also approved markets.
And unlike some states, there are no restrictions on betting on in-state college teams, so the beloved Maryland Terrapins are fair game.
Responsible gambling and sportsbook apps
Perhaps the most underrated advantage associated with Maryland sports betting apps is the ability to set limits for yourself. Retail sportsbook workers are trained to look for problem gamblers, but with an online sportsbook, you can instruct it to limit the amount of money that you can deposit within a certain timeframe, limit the amount of money that you can wager and limit the time you can spend on the app.
Setting those restrictions for yourself is a good first step if you are suffering from a compulsion to play. However, Maryland also offers several resources to pair you with the help that you need. If you are struggling, call the Maryland Problem Gambling Helpline at 1-800-426-2537. Counselors are available 24 hours a day to connect you with treatment services and other resources in the state. There is no cost to Marylanders for these services, either, so don’t wait if you’re in trouble.
For more information about responsible gambling resources in Maryland, visit this informational page.
Retail vs. online sports betting
In many ways, Maryland sports betting is superior to retail sports betting. Placing your wagers is easier, more intuitive, and more flexible online than it can ever be in an in-person setting. Here is a breakdown of the benefits of online sports betting in Maryland:
- Convenience: The most obvious advantage of a Maryland betting app is the fact that you no longer have to travel to one of the sportsbook locations in the state to place a wager. So long as you have a mobile device/laptop, a stable connection to the internet, and you are located in Maryland, you will be able to place a bet.
- Line shopping: Individual books may have slightly different odds and lines for the same game. Because online sportsbooks are seconds away from one another at all times, it is both easy and good practice to shop for the best “deals” you can find. Shopping for lines in a retail setting is much more difficult.
- Bonuses: Another benefit of online sports betting in Maryland is existing seconds from the competition is the fact that they offer bonuses in order to attract and keep your business. You’d be hard-pressed to find a similar group of deals at retail books, as they are not nearly as concerned about you switching over to the competition right away.
- Live betting: Finally, the betting options online outnumber what you’ll find at retail sportsbooks due to bets you can place after the game begins — it’s not uncommon to find more than 100 bets you can make on a single game. Because of technological and practical considerations involved with in-person wagering, the logistics of trying to offer in-play bets in person are untenable in any meaningful way.
However, there’s no denying that the actual experience of being inside a sportsbook is superior to playing on your mobile device. The ability to lounge in comfortable chairs, watch games on huge screens, consult the multi-colored display board and order artery-clogging food is something that no sportsbook app can match. So, if you want to travel to a sportsbook for those reasons, it makes sense.
Retail sportsbooks in Maryland
Maryland law permits as many as 50 retail sportsbook licenses. Several of these slots are reserved for specific entities, such as the state’s casinos, racetracks, and off-track betting locations. Thirty of the 47 initial licenses are set aside for unrelated businesses to offer onsite sports betting, like restaurants and bars. Three more are reserved for any potential NBA, NHL or MLS teams that might relocate to Maryland.
It’s not clear exactly how many of these licenses the population of Maryland could support. For now, the following locations in the state have active sportsbooks:
|Hollywood Casino Perryville||Barstool Sportsbook||Penn National Gaming||December 2021|
|Horseshoe Casino Baltimore||Caesars Sportsbook||Caesars Entertainment||December 2021|
|Live! Casino & Hotel Maryland||FanDuel Sportsbook||Cordish Company||December 2021|
|MGM National Harbor||BetMGM Sportsbook||MGM Resorts International||December 2021|
|Ocean Downs Casino||TwinSpires Sportsbook||Churchill Downs, Inc.||December 2021|
|Bingo World Baltimore||BetRivers Sportsbook||Rush Street Interactive, Inc.||August 2022|
|Riverboat on the Potomac||PointsBet Sportsbook||Penny Flanagan||September 2022|
|Greenmount Station OTB||betPARX Sportsbook||Greenwood Gaming & Entertainment||October 2022|
|Long Shot's Frederick||Betfred Sportsbook||Betfred Group||November 2022|
|FedEx Field||Fanatics Sportsbook||Fanatics, Inc.||January 2023|
Be sure to call ahead for your chosen book’s hours of operation.
How Maryland sports betting came to be
Maryland lawmakers introduced HB1014 in February 2018 to legalize sports betting in the Old Line State, even though a decision on PASPA was not expected until mid-2018. HB1014 passed the Maryland House in overwhelming fashion, though it died a quick death in committee upon reaching the Senate. A similar effort the following year, HB1132, did not even progress as far as its predecessor.
Lawmakers finally found some traction in 2020. A Senate effort, SB4, passed by unanimous vote in the upper chamber. But rather than hitting a wall like the last two attempts, it was met with only moderate resistance in the House. After some tinkering and negotiating, both chambers agreed to put the question to Maryland voters in November 2020.
Voters supported the measure by a 2:1 ratio. Legislators then passed the aforementioned HB0940 as an enabling measure in May 2021. Retail sportsbooks across the state began accepting wagers in December 2021.
As of Nov. 23, 2022, Marylanders are now also able to participate in online sports betting.
While HB0940 ultimately allows for up to 60 online sportsbook apps in Maryland, launch occurred with seven initial operators. In total, 21 sports betting apps have applied for a license.
Here are several Maryland sports betting milestones:
- Voters approve MD sports betting referendum: November 2020
- Pass bill to legalize sports betting: April 2021
- Bill signed by Gov. Larry Hogan: May 2021
- Debut and discuss sports betting regulations: July 2021
- Open application process: September 2021
- Review applications: October-November 2021
- Regulatory approval of selected applications: November 2021
- Retail launch: December 2021
- Commission disparity study: March 2022
- Open mobile application process: September-October 2022
- Regulatory approval of selected mobile applications: Nov. 16, 2022
- Online launch: Nov. 23, 2022
FAQ about Maryland sports betting
Yes, sports betting is legal in Maryland. In-person sportsbooks opened in December 2021, while online sports betting took a bit longer to get started. Maryland’s first online sportsbook apps finally made their debut on Nov. 23, 2022.
Old Line State voters approved sports betting during the November 2020 election. The enabling sports betting law was signed by Gov. Larry Hogan in May 2021. Now, both in-person betting and online sports betting are live in the state.
DraftKings, Caesars, FanDuel, BetMGM, BetRivers, PointsBet and Barstool were the first sportsbooks to launch on Nov. 23, 2022.
An app is a program for mobile devices; an online sportsbook is accessible via a browser. We use the terms interchangeably as a shortcut, but that may be a bit misleading. It is possible that some sportsbooks will have different versions of their offerings on the two formats. In some cases, the app will be a pared-down version of the site. In others, there won’t even be a site — the entire sportsbook exists as an app.
The Maryland Lottery and Gaming Control Agency regulates the activity of sports betting in Maryland. However, in a bit of an unusual twist, the state’s sports betting law created a separate entity — the Sports Wagering Application Review Commission — to consider any license applications first before Maryland Gaming looks at the requests.
Yes. You must be physically inside Maryland in order to bet on a Maryland sportsbook app. Be prepared to verify your location through each app or site’s geolocation verification software. The apps will simply use the onboard GPS from your mobile device to track you. It’s possible that you will have to download a tracking program if you use a computer.
Yes. Maryland law does not limit sports betting on professional and collegiate games in the state. However, high school sports games remain prohibited, as they are across the US.
No. You don’t have to be a Marylander to bet in Maryland. You only need to be of age and located within the state.
Legal online sportsbooks are now available in Maryland. However, illicit offshore sites can still be accessed as well. Betting at such sites involves substantial risks, and we do not recommend it. The best thing to do if you are unsure whether or not a site is legal is to contact Maryland Gaming directly.
You can also check the bottom section of the app’s main lobby for clues that things are on the up and up. Mentions of responsible gaming, the appearance of the Maryland Gaming logo and a US-based office location are all signs that you’ve found a legitimate site.
Of course, you can also rely on this page. PlayMaryland never covers any online sportsbooks that are anything short of legal and regulated.