Maryland sportsbook apps and the availability of streaming live golf coverage makes it easy to start betting on golf in many different forms, from shot-by-shot action on the PGA Tour to select LPGA events to special charity events like The Match.
Here’s how to get started betting on golf online with current live golf odds for the next PGA Tour event as posted on top Maryland online sportsbooks.
Latest PGA Golf odds
Check below for the latest PGA Tour odds from the top online sportsbooks. Use the drop-down menu to see which tournaments you can bet on and explore your betting odds, from outright winner to golfers to make the cut and more.
How do golf odds work?
There’s a lot to bet on and a lot of ways to do it, but you can place most golf bets into the following categories:
- Futures: Futures betting allows you to bet on a golfer to win an event well in advance of the event taking place. Golf betting odds are available most of the year for most majors.
- Outrights: Bet on a golfer to win an event. The odds are available ahead of the first tee time, and although they will shift throughout the event based on score and round, you lock in the current odds when you place a bet.
- Leader bets: Betting on leader markets allows you to wager on any golfer to take the overnight lead after the first, second, or third round.
- Finishing position bets: Bet on any golfer to finish in the top three, four, five, 10, or even 20 for an event.
- Head-to-head and group bets: These bets, including head-to-heads, groups, against the field, and 2/3 balls, allow you to bet on one golfer against another or a group of others. Whether your pick wins the tournament doesn’t matter. It’s all about how your pick fares against the other golfer or golfers you pick to match them up against.
- Prop bets: The list of golf props is a lengthy one, ranging from bets on a hole in one during the tournament to the winner’s nationality. This is where you will find bets on everything from any golfer shooting a bogey-free round to betting an over/under on the winner’s total score.
- Live golf bets: Place bets as the tournament plays out at live golf odds that change with the action on the course. You can bet on the next hole or even the next shot. Remember, live odds will change rapidly.
Odds for golf majors
The four men’s golfing majors tend to generate the most interest among fans and bettors alike. Maryland sportsbook apps may offer special bets, odds boosts, free contests, and other promos for these events. Plus, there may be an increased number of props and live betting options.
US Open Odds
Check the odds feed above for the latest available odds on the next US Open.
- Dates: Mid-June
- Next location: The Country Club at Brookline, Massachusetts (2022)
- 2021 purse: $12.5 million
- What/whom to bet on: US Open courses often favor the longest hitters on tour.
British Open (The Open Championship) odds
Check the odds feed above for the latest available odds on the following Open Championship.
- Dates: Mid-July
- Next location: St. Andrews (2022)
- 2021 purse: $10.75 million
- What to bet on: Links course specialists tend to farewell.
The Masters (2022)
Check the odds feed above for the latest available odds on the next Masters. Expect to see the first odds released for the next Masters a month or so before tee-off.
- Dates: April 4-10, 2022
- Location: Augusta National Golf Course in Augusta, Georgia
- Last purse: $11.5 million
- What/who to bet on: Augusta favors the best putters and golfers who hit the most greens in regulation.
PGA Championship (2022)
Check the odds feed above for the latest available odds on the next PGA Championship. Expect to see the first odds released for the event a month or so before tee-off.
- Dates: May 19-22, 2022
- Location: Southern Hills Country Club, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- Purse: TBD
- What/who to bet on: PGA Championship courses favor a combination of power and driving accuracy.
What are the best stats to use for golf betting?
Picking golf winners with any absolute consistency is incredibly difficult. However, successful golf bettors do it more regularly than most, and they do it using stats and data to inform their picks. Scoring will tell you who won last week, but according to Golf Digest, specific stats and data can give you a good idea of who might win next week, and therefore, who you should be betting on.
First, though, note the use of “stats” above, not “stat.” In other words, use as many stats and as much data as you can to inform your picks. Using one stat alone won’t help very much.
- Strokes gained/approach-the-green (SG/APP): This iron play stat indicates the number of approach shots a player takes from specific locations and distances to determine shots gained or lost on a hole against a baseline. Better iron play equals lower scores, and lower scores equal wins.
- Strokes gained/ball-striking (SG/BS): Combines a players’ strokes gained/off-the-tee numbers and strokes gained/approach numbers. It appears to correlate strongly with finishing position as it focuses on driving power and accuracy and approach shots over putting.
- Strokes gained/tee-to-green (SG/T2G): It goes beyond just the driver and irons. In other words, this is a complete game stat.
- Total driving: Combines driving distance and driving accuracy.
- Opportunities gained: Looks at scoring opportunities, not just scoring.
- Birdie-or-better gained/birdie-or-better percentage: A percentage of when a player records a birdie or better. Top scorers on tour own this stat.
Golf odds boost & promos
Maryland sportsbooks will run several sports betting promos and bonus bets for golf’s most significant events, especially for the golf majors. Here are three sports betting welcome bonuses, for example, that were available for the most recent Masters:
- DraftKings Maryland app offered +10,000 odds on any golfer finishing in the top 10 at The Masters. It was a huge giveaway, considering many of the top golfers in the game were actually at +100 to finish over that line. However, the max bet was $1, and you could only place the bet once.
- FanDuel Maryland app offered +2,000 odds on some of the top golfers in the world to make the cut at The Masters. The max bet was $5.
- BetMGM Maryland app offered a 15% odds boost on any golfer to win.
Ryder Cup odds, Presidents Cup odds
Many sportsbooks, like Caesars Maryland or Unibet in Maryland, will also offer bets on international golf competitions like the Ryder Cup and the Presidents Cup. The Ryder Cup involves a team of US golfers versus a team of European golfers.
The match-play event takes place every two years. It alternates between US and European courses.
The Presidents Cup is a team of US golfers facing off against a team of international golfers from non-European countries. The match-play event takes place every two years.
The Match odds
The Match is a series of follow-ups to Tiger vs. Phil, a head-to-head contest between Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson that teed off in 2018.
At least some Maryland sportsbooks will likely take bets on these matches and various LPGA tournaments, European Tour events, and more. Check your preferred sportsbook under the “Golf” tab.
PGA events in Maryland
Caves Valley Golf Club in Owings Mills, Maryland, hosted the 2021 BMW Championship. This marked the PGA Tour’s first stop in the Baltimore area in close to 60 years. The last one was the 1962 Eastern Open Invitational at Mount Pleasant Golf Club. The tournament is the final FedExCup playoff event before the season-ending Tour Championship.
Of course, the Congressional Country Club in Bethesda has hosted several majors over the years. Three US Opens and a PGA Championship have taken place on its Blue Course.
TPC Potomac at Avenel Farm in Potomac, Maryland, has also played host to past PGA Tour events, including the Quicken Loans National, Kemper Open, FBR Capital Open, and Booz Allen Classic. TPC Potomac will also host the 2022 Wells Fargo Championship.
How to bet on golf online in Maryland
You can place online bets on all kinds of golf tournaments once you sign up for an account and deposit funds at a Maryland online sportsbook. To start with, head to the sportsbook of your choice’s homepage. Once there, you can sign up for an account or download and install that sportsbook’s app and sign up there.
Either way, you will need to provide some personal and account info, including your name, phone number, and last four digits of your Social Security number.
Depositing funds is just as easy. Just choose from a list of deposit methods and follow the on-screen prompts. Deposit methods will likely include debit and credit cards, online bank transfers, payment processors, and cash via PayNearMe at 7-Eleven and CVS outlets.
Why bet on golf over other sports?
Golf offers a variety of options for placing bets. Sure, you can pick event winners and get paid at some pretty high odds for doing it right. But there’s a lot more.
Most tournaments begin with at least 75 golfers, and they play four rounds over four days. The betting options include pre-tournament, pre-round, and live betting. Available bets range from head-to-heads and groups to exact scoring and the nationality of the winner.
You can even bet on how the field will stack up against a specific hole throughout the week or on particular golfers to finish in the top 10, top 5, or top three rather than win. There are so many ways to bet on golf. Listing them all here would take up too much time and space.
With so much to bet on, you can customize golf betting to your tastes and preferences. You can make it as straightforward or as complicated as you want it to be. That’s why it’s a good choice for experienced and beginning sports bettors alike.